Thursday, April 15, 2010

XCOM Announced


Well this is an interesting surprise. 2K Games has announced XCOM, a reboot of the turn-based strategy classic of yesteryear. Being developed by 2K Marin, the developer behind the successful shooter BioShock 2, the catch with this reboot is that, like almost everything else these days, it's a shooter and not a strategy game.

X-Com: UFO Defence is one of the greatest games ever made. I lost track of the countless hours I spent beating back the alien invaders in turn-based glory on my father's monochrome PC laptop, and I can't say I'm too keen on the franchise being brought back as a shooter; it's just not the same.

I'm also not impressed with the only screenshot released thus far (pictured above). Well, it's still very early in the development process, so we'll see how this one pans out, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Originally spotted at ActionTrip.

No comments: