Monday, May 22, 2006

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (Xbox) Completed


Just under a week ago, I won Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (Xbox) for the 4th time, which took me around 60 hours if I recall correctly. I started off as a Dark Side female character and was ultimately redeemed to the Light. I can't stress just how much fun, and how deep, this game is. While yes, it was a bit disappointing that the ending was rushed and certain story elements were somewhat incomplete, the Party Members, the Influence System, and the overall dark and complex storyline are so intriguing that the game is simply a joy to play through. I really did care about my Party Members much more so in this game than its predecessor, and the overall gameplay enhancements were great improvements.

So, at present, the only game I have going is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition (Xbox). When I started playing it again, I realized that I had taken an exact month break, and now that I've gotten back into it, I must say my impressions of the game have changed somewhat. I'm beginning to find that The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition's greatest strength is now becoming its greatest weakness: the non-linear, free roaming world.

While yes, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition allows total freedom and excellent exploration opportunities, I must say that it's overall lack of focus is becoming frustrating; I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. Also, for such a free world, it's a shame there's no Party Members as I have no attachements to anyone in the game world itself. For all these reasons, I'm going to start quickening my pace, less exploration and idle chatter and more Quest completion.

By no means am I saying that The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition is a bad game, far from it. What I am saying is that its unique style has its own set of unique ups and downs. Once I start getting through more Quests and further into the meat of things, we'll see if my opinions rise or perhaps lower some more. Given the insane length of this title though, I wonder if one play through is all I'll do before moving onto the Xbox 360, which I'm expecting to pick up this Fall.

No comments: