Sunday, May 14, 2006

Widescreen LCD and an Xbox 360

So I happened upon Best Buy again yesterday, and the Samsung LCD I was looking at last weekend (the 23") has already dropped by about $100.00; it's now going for around $899.99.

Now, until I want to get an Xbox 360, there's no point for me to get one; however it's nice to know prices are dropping (and by that time, perhaps a 26" will be cheap enough, or a newer, better model will be of comparable price).

Anyway, now that E3's done, I can get a good idea of the current and upcoming Xbox 360 library, and yeah, I do want the system, but not yet. Games that hold my interest that are already released:

- Quake 4 (I'll try the demo first)
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (See below)

Games that are in development:

- The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II (Demo or rental)
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (Demo or rental)
- F.E.A.R. (Demo or rental)
- Halo 3 (Must buy)
- BioShock (Must buy)
- Mass Effect (Must buy)

I think that about covers it. All my "must buy" titles are scheduled for a 2007 release sometime. As for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, some of you might be wondering why I didn't place that as a "must buy" seeing how I've gone on about it and its predecessor, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition, which I'm currently playing.

The fact of the matter is yes, I want The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The problem is, if its predecessor is any indication, it will be a very high commitment game; extremely time consuming, and I really don't have the time for something so damn lengthy anymore. I only bought The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowing - Game of the Year Edition for $20.00, so if I only go through it once or don't even finish it, I've still gotten my money's worth seeing all the time I've sunk into it. However if I buy The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion at full retail price and get a new system/TV for it, a cost of about $1600.00, then I'm gonna wanna play through it a lot to justify that cost.

I'm not saying I won't buy the game, perhaps it will be the first Xbox 360 title I buy, time will tell. Or perhaps I'll wait for a substantial price drop and pick it up cheap like I did with The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition.

Anyway, until I get an Xbox 360, I still have my Xbox to play on. I want to play through Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil again, and Jade Empire as well. I figure I'll be busy enough over the summer, so I should be fine.

No comments: