Monday, June 05, 2006

Kingdom of Heaven: 4-Disc Director's Cut Impressions


A few days after it's release two weeks ago, I picked up Kingdom of Heaven: 4-Disc Director's Cut. I'm a huge fan of Ridley Scott, and I must say I had high hopes and was disappointed by the theatrical release of that film. The plot seemed very rushed, and the character's lacked any real motivation to move me.

Well, this has all changed with the Director's Cut, and this is the movie that should have been released to theatres. I haven't checked out the special features yet, so I'm not reviewing the full product here and now, but I will tell you that this is an epic film you should see, plain and simple.

The Director's Cut is like a completely different film from the theatrical release. It weighs in at just over three hours and the feature is spread across two discs. The purpose of each character is much more fleshed out, and the plot is quite engaging. Without giving too much away, there is now more depth to Balian and his reasons for seeking redemption after murdering the priest in his village. Sabilla's son, who was completely cut from the theatrical version, is present and has a major impact on the events of the film. Just for me to scratch the surface of all that was added is time wasted from you sitting down and viewing this masterpiece of a film.

And with only a $24.99 price tag, you can't go wrong picking up the Kingdom of Heaven: 4-Disc Director's Cut. I will go into further detail once I review the product in the coming weeks and outline the greater differences between the versions, however I'm telling you now to check out this film, or you will miss out on a great piece of work.

No comments: