Tuesday, August 08, 2006

LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (PC) Demo Impressions


One of the first things I need to say regarding the PC Demo of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy is that the controls (keyboard) are bloody horrible. I was browsing ActionTrip early today, and shaking my head at the general reader comments and their PC elitist nature, and while I'm not saying consoles are superior to a PC, I am saying that a game like LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy is better suited to a console which has a controller by default.

Lousy controls aside, the demo for LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy was quite enjoyable, taking many of the great aspects of the original game and adding some new stuff to the mix.

The demo features the Mos Eisley scene from Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, where Luke, Obi-Wan, C-3PO, and R2-D2 try to find a way off Tatooine. You start the level wandering the streets, battling Sandtroopers and making your way towards the cantina. It features a lot of classic options like rearranging LEGO blocks to reveal secrets, using droids to unlock doors, and some fun Lightsabre combat with Obi-Wan. You can also hop into Luke's Speeder and drive around, smashing into everything in your path.

At one point, my way was blocked, and I had to find and build the parts to create an AT-ST Walker, which allowed me to smash through a barrier and get to the cantina. Afterwards, I was able to take control of Han and Chewie (and yes, Chewie can rip arms out of sockets) and battle my way to the Millennium Falcon for a final showdown with the long nosed alien spy who's name I don't know. He'll keep calling in Sandtroopers until you kill him, and it makes for a fun, end of level battle.

The Demo keeps the same tongue-in-cheek silent humour of the original, and aside from the horrid PC controls, it was a lot of fun to play. With all the exploring I did, the level alone took me around an hour, and I didn't even try Freeplay mode.

Based on the demo, I would recommend picking up LEGO Star Wars II: The Video Game after a price drop, as a standard $50.00 to $60.00 price tag is too much. It does look to be the only interesting title hitting the Xbox in the foreseeable future, however.

No comments: