Saturday, June 19, 2010

Xbox 360 250 GB Console and Kinect


Also unveiled at E3, the Xbox 360 has been redesigned with the Xbox 360 250 GB console, available at retailers as early as now. The console is smaller, quieter, and features a built in 250 GB HDD and built-in Wi-Fi. It also features additional USB ports but no Memory Unit ports, all on the back of the console.

The new console is priced at $299.99, and both Xbox 360 Elite and Xbox 360 Arcade consoles are seeing a $50.00 reduction in cost at most retailers.

Project Natal now has an official name and launch date: Kinect for Xbox 360 will launch in November 2010.

Personally, I'm not psyched about either item. The Xbox 360 250 GB console is great for anyone just picking up the console for the first time, but what about those of us who've already bought a lot of accessories? Larger HDD's for our original consoles, Wireless Networking Adapters, Memory Units, Faceplates, all are completely incompatible with the new console's design.

What this means is that when (not if but when) my current Xbox 360 Pro console dies past its warranty, if this new console design completely replaces the existing model then I'll be forced to buy it to stick with the platform and over $300.00 worth of accessories I've bought are useless. Sure, I can sell them to recoup some cost, but it won't be for much.

The new console also can no longer get the three flashing red lights as the ring of light is now only capable of displaying green, so we'll need to wait and see what error message or indicator is now used for general hardware failure. The Xbox 360 250 GB console also only has a 1 year warranty period.

From a business standpoint this is all genius, but from an existing customer standpoint (or at least an existing customer who knows the value of the dollar), this means the last few years has been a horrible waste on my entertainment investment.

Kinect, well, I know there's a market for this sort of thing and I know there are people are who interested in it, but me, when I get home from a long day of lugging crap around the office the last thing I want to do is jump up and down in a simple party-ish game and piss of my neighbours below me with all the noise.

For those who are interested in Kinect, you can check out a list of games here.

No comments: