Sunday, November 27, 2011

Gears of War 3 Completed for the 2nd Time


Just under a week ago I completed Gears of War 3's Campaign for the second time, my first on Hardcore. It took me a little over a month simply because I was playing other games.

In truth, I wasn't very impressed.

The weak story and one dimensional characters didn't hold my attention and I'd go weeks at a time without playing. Hardcore difficulty was, in truth, a joke and far too easy with only the final boss providing an imbalanced challenge. I say imbalanced because she herself wasn't hard, it was the never ending spawning of Palace Guards surrounding you with dumb AI allies that was the problem.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, infinite spawns in almost all cases represents weak design and the developers' inability to craft a real challenge or better AI, which is sadly the hallmark of Gears of War 3: weak design.

I'm really disappointed with Gears of War 3. It could have been so much more, and while it's certainly a gorgeous looking game it's ultimately a dumbed down version of what's come before and that's not what I'm looking for with the trilogy's conclusion. The franchise has evolved so much over the last few years, yet it's core medium, the games themselves, have now taken several steps backwards.

At some point I suppose I'll give Insanity a run, but in truth with far better titles to play I'm not feeling motivated to do so. If Gears of War 3 didn't complete the actual trilogy itself, I'd have traded it in already, as it's redeeming qualities are really that few. In truth, I've been considering trading in my trilogy and clearing some shelf space; I'm that disappointed with Gears of War and Epic Games.

We'll see.

No comments: