Friday, March 23, 2007

Fable: The Lost Chapters (Xbox) "Evil" Path


I finished Fable: The Lost Chapters (Xbox) for the second time last weekend, playing through it on my Xbox 360.

A quick note on backwards compatibility: The game looked very nice playing at 720p, even without stretching it to a 16x9 aspect ratio, and you could really notice the resolution increase and full screen anti-aliasing. With the exception of texture quality, something the Xbox 360's emulator can't change, the face lift on Fable: The Lost Chapters was fabulous. It also resolved the crappy image output that Fable: The Lost Chapters was displaying on my LCD TV with my original Xbox.

The only known issue with Fable: The Lost Chapters on the Xbox 360 is a random audio hiss and pop, however it's really a minor problem and something I quickly got used to. Sometimes it would happen once ever few minutes, other times I didn't hear it for hours.

Anyway, on this play through I decided to be grrr... evil, however when all is said and done, the game really didn't feel right going down that path, and the story, Quests and characters seemed to be mainly set up for a "good" Hero.

In truth, Fable: The Lost Chapters played very much the same with either path. Aside from my Hero's visual appearance, the main difference was that most villagers and traders immediately ran screaming from me, and no one fell in love with me. Granted I could do some other very evil things, but the end result of the game is the same with no real consequences to the world itself.

And in truth this criticism goes for all RPGs with light and dark paths: Developers, please stop making the dark path one where I'm basically a schoolyard bully instead of a calculating and sinister villain. Also please stop catering all the main Quests to those of a good Hero. If I'm playing the part of the bad guy, I want to feel like a really great anti-hero, someone with an intelligent purpose to go about my Quest for global domination or whatever. I want to feel like Vader or the Witch King, not Nelson Muntz.

Regardless, the gameplay itself was still first rate. The world of Albion has enough options and things to do that it was never dull, and will certainly be worth an additional play through, probably before I pick up the upcoming sequel.

No comments: