Sunday, April 22, 2007

NHL 2K7 (Xbox 360) Demo Impressions


Last Sunday I decided to download the demo for NHL 2K7 (Xbox 360) from the Xbox Live Marketplace. About a decade ago I was really big into the NHL series by EA Sports on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and while games have come a long way since then, this demo still made me feel like a kid again.

The demo for NHL 2K7 let's you choose from four teams, the Buffalo Sabres, the Carolina Hurricanes, the Edmonton Oilers, and the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, and you can play the first period of a quick, standard NHL game. Line changes seem to be on auto, but the teams have their proper rosters and there's a very flashy intro prior to game time.

I found the controls similar to what I remember from yester-year, and it was easy to get into the demo and start stick-handling and laying down some nice checks. Scoring was a lot more difficult, however, thanks to AI improvements. I've played the demo twice thus far, and I won the first game and lot the second game by the same score, 1-0. Just like when I was a kid, however, when I did score I jumped and shouted, and when I was scored against I booed and swore. The same feelings of fun and fast paced action are there.

The graphics are alright, though don't expect the quality of Gears of War. The game's audio seems good to, though I often found the "sell-out" music tracks were too loud during the regular course of play.

While I don't think I'd run out and buy the full game, even though it is now only $29.99, the demo was a nice trip down memory lane, and was a much more impressive game than the demo for EA's NHL 07.

No comments: