Saturday, December 05, 2009

Halo 3: ODST Completed on Heroic


Last weekend, I finished my second playthrough of Halo 3: ODST, this time on Heroic. It was a little more challenging than my first time through, mainly at the beginning as I adapted to the lesser durability you have compared to a Spartan. The major weapon combination of a sniper weapon and mid-range weapon still seemed the most effective combo to me, but especially when exploring the city at night, I found stealth and keeping my distance more important than last time.

I did like the storytelling method presented in Halo 3: ODST, it is a nice fresh change of pace from the original trilogy, and I like what was done with the Drones, but I admit it is a little odd playing a Halo title without the Flood. One thing I found odd was that even playing a new game, all the Audio Logs were automatically unlocked, I'm guessing 'cause I found them before, so the lack of having to hunt them down greatly reduced my expected play time.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed my experience, but honestly the game is a glorified expansion and not worth the full retail price tag. For the fun of it afterwards, I loaded up Firefight and played solo on Easy looking for a 200,000 Achievement, and this took me a whopping 3 hours! Not because it was challenging mind you, just because it took so damn long to earn all those points. For most of that time, I was just bored and slogging through the motions and while Firefight is pretty cool, I felt they could have tightened up the pacing of it more.

I did enjoy shortly after I earned my Achievement, I ran around for 20 minutes smacking everything with a Brute Shot, melee only. Taking out Brute Chieftains that way is surprisingly effective.

No comments: