Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Resistance: Retribution (PSP) Impressions


Though I sold my own PSP at the end of 2008, this past Easter weekend I got to briefly check out the new shooter, Resistance: Retribution on my kid cousin's PSP. Even though I only got to play for about 15 minutes, I must say that I was duly impressed given the limitations of the PSP hardware.

Graphically, the game looked solid on the small screen. The cinematics were of excellent quality and featured some solid character models and lighting effects, and the actual in-game graphics, though no where near as polished as the cinematics, were still reasonably sharp and actually reminded me of playing Halo 2 on my original Xbox (similar low resolution).

I can't comment on audio or story, as there was too much noise up at the cottage for me to hear what was going on. I know the basics of the story, however, that you play as former British marine James Grayson who set out to destroy every Chimaran conversion centre after the loss of his brother, only to end up in jail and released to join the remnants of the European resistance as they try to take back the continent.

Control wise, lacking a second Analogue Stick, the PSP makes use of it's face buttons for looking around, and the D-Pad is used to switch weapons, take cover, etc. Resistance: Retribution is presented from a third person perspective and makes significant use of auto-aiming (with this control set-up, it needs to), however overall I found the game quite enjoyable for the 15 minute run I had with it. It was simple and intuitive, and you could easily take cover and pop shots out at Chimera as you went.

In fact, in terms of general style, both in art direction and, to a point, in gameplay, I found it very reminiscent of Gears of War, though based on what I've seen of the Resistance franchise, I've always drawn this comparison.

If I still owned my PSP, I'd certainly give the full demo for Resistance: Retribution a whirl, and I could easily see myself picking the game up for some simple shooter action on-the-go.

No comments: