Monday, January 01, 2007

Component vs Composite


It's been so long since I've done a proper comparison between component and composite cables, I'd forgotten how drastic a difference the two signals are!

My grandparents popped by for a visit today and I showed them my new Samsung LCD TV, and to demonstrate the gorgeous picture quality it's capable of, I started playing a DVD which is connected to the TV via composite cables. The first thing I noticed was a good bit of artifacts showing up everywhere.

I then decided to test the same DVD out on my Xbox 360. The Staff mentioned to me several days ago that he was using his Xbox 360 to view DVDs simply because it's hooked up via component cables, and after testing this out now, I'll be doing the same.

The picture quality was no contest. The component cables with the Xbox 360 provide a clearer, crisper, and more vibrant image than my DVD player can with simple composite cables. What's nice is that unlike the original Xbox, the Xbox 360 will play DVDs out-of-the-box and the Controller can be used as a remote control.

I plan on watching The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring soon, so I'll see how that goes.

No comments: