Sunday, January 21, 2007

F.E.A.R. (Xbox 360) Demo Impressions


The last time I connected to the Xbox Live Marketplace, I decided to download the demo for F.E.A.R. to see if it was any better than the PC Demo (for my thoughts on the PC Demo, go here).

After doing so I forgot I downloaded it until last night. Go me.

So this morning I fired it up, and unlike the PC version, the game's menus didn't immediately piss me off. Granted, the menu options were very limited, but whatever.

The Demo for the Xbox 360 is near identical to its PC Demo counterpart. The in-game intro is missing, but the actual Demo level is the same. All the same enemies, items etc. I actually found the general controls to be much simpler to execute with the Controller than I did with a keyboard and mouse, one of my biggest gripes about the PC Demo. The only strange thing is I still found aiming to be rather sluggish, even with maxing out the analogue stick sensitivity. The enemies weren't that much of a challenge though, so it wasn't a big deal.

Graphically, it looks the same as I remember from the PC version, including the weapon models that seem to gave come right out of Half-Life and the Quake II engine, with one notable exception: Shadows. The shadows in this demo were spot on and looked great. I'm not talking about lighting, mind you, many other games have done that better, but just actual character model shadows looked so good. I found this strange though since my PC is running on a XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX, but whatever. I do think that Flashlight needs to illuminate further though, it's very short on the range.

Overall it was still the same shmeh experience, nothing special. It's a title I might pick up via a rental at some point, but F.E.A.R. is nothing I'm going to rush out and by.

No comments: