Sunday, February 17, 2008

Devil May Cry 4 (Xbox 360) Demo Impressions


It's a Japanese-styled game, and really not my style, but damn does it look amazing. As soon as I fired up the demo, I was extremely impressed with the environments, as well as the digital actors. So much so actually that I think I liked Devil May Cry 4's (Xbox 360) environments better than those I've seen with the Unreal Engine 3.

Despite that, though, it is a Japanese action hack and slash, and while certainly possessing some fun moments, even this short demo got rather repetative. There are two parts, the first being moving through some old church and its immediate suroundings, hacking up a few demons in under 10 minutes, the second was in a winter castle setting, fighting a few ice demons and finally a very large boss monster ( Pit Lord from Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos ). No matter where you are what enemies your facing, you're really just mashing on "Y" for your sword attack, perhaps mixing in some jumping and powers for a little variety.

Of course, being Japanese, Devil May Cry 4 also features cheesy dialogue and over the top scripted sequences that are typical of Japanese media, as well as out of place rock music, which always leaves me shaking my head.

Despite that, I could see myself enjoying the game as a simple rental.

No comments: