Sunday, September 17, 2006

Jade Empire Completed for the 3rd Time


Yesterday, I also completed Jade Empire for the third time. Jade Empire is an action/rpg set in a mythical asian fantasy world. You play as a martial arts student learning his/her abilities as the Empire is being plagued by ghosts and bandits, and you ultimately travel on a quest that unravels a mystery of corruption and power that will shake the very foundations of the Empire. What's more, in a nutshell, is that you get to kung foo that crap out of shit.

This time around, I played as the Limited Edition Monk Zheng character, and I renamed him Kung Foo Moo. I focused mainly on magic skills, using Ice Shard to great affect, shattering many foes. I tried to complete a romance first with Dawn Star, but scared her with notions of revenge, and then with Silk Fox but I simply didn't chat with her enough. Basically, my hero went without a chick on his quest.

I did find something interesting, however. Towards the end of the game, I was going to enslave Death's Hand, one of the primary villians of Jade Empire, and then I'd have to bind several of my goody-goody Followers to me, essentially enslaving them. I was then going to go about completing the Open Palm ending to see how commiting such an evil act for the greater good would play out.

Well, when Death's Hand fought his spirit of Prince Kin, I learned that should Kin be defeated, Death's Hand destroys himself and you don't have the chance of gaining him as an ally. While I played along this interesting path and won the game, I went back and redid that battle, winning it and enslaving Death's Hand as I wanted.

Suprisingly, if you do the Open Palm ending, even after binding many of your fellows, that little moral detail is basically dropped right off and no one seems to care. Sure, they're pretty vocal at first, but in the end they don't seem to give a shit, which was rather disappointing.

Overall, however, Jade Empire is a great RPG to play through with a lot of twists, turns, and character customization to warrant some entertaining replay.

No comments: