Sunday, September 10, 2006

System Shock 2 not Windows XP Compatible


For the last few months, I've felt like playing through System Shock 2 once more, and for those not in the know, System Shock 2 is an exceptional FPS/RPG that focuses on horror/survival, and was one of the most exciting and influencial games to come out in 1999.

While poking around the net yesterday, I found an entry on Wikipedia that mentioned an enhanced or "Complimented" version of a mod entitled System Shock Rebirth that updates many of the game's character models, and I was intrigued enough to go download it and try it out. However after installing System Shock 2 I've discovered an unfortunate truth: it's not compatible with Windows XP or the NT kernel.

I can install the game, patch it, install the mod, and even get the game to boot up to the main menu and watch the intro movie, but once I try to load the game itself, it crashes. I've tried several work-arounds I've found online, most notably on this forum here, however so far I've had no luck and I only have one or two more work-arounds to try.

If anyone happens to have any suggestions on getting System Shock 2 to run on a Windows XP Home Edition system, please let me know.

It's quite sad that such a great title isn't supported on newer operating systems, as the atmosphere found in System Shock 2 is rivaled by few other titles. Doom 3 tried to emulate it and while a great game in its own right, fell short.

I could, of course, always go to my older system downstairs which is still running Windows 98 and load the game up, but that takes effort.

Screenshot from the original System Shock Rebirth mod.

4 comments:

Flame_Kettle said...

Great site! thanks,

There is a new version of windows coming soon? any idea when it will be ready? I heard it has been pushed back to February?

Thanks, anyways, I am going to read some more of your reviews,

Gary,

Juxtapose said...

That would be Windows Vista. As far as I know, the official release window is still January 2007, however I've also heard rumours that it'll be delayed again.

Regardless, I never recommend the first version of a new OS anyway, since it's usually bug filled.

Thanks for reading Arbiter's Judgement!

Flame_Kettle said...

Thanks for the advice, but I am still using Windows ME, looking to buy a new computer soon, so I figured I would just wait till the new OS came out, and keep saving my money so I will be able to get the most insane gaming machine,

I bookmarked your site too btw, so I expect you to keep up your high standards, also I bought a PayDay ticket tonight as well for next Thursday,

Gary,

Juxtapose said...

I was using a Windows 98 SE system until a few months ago. Unless you're looking to get something Vista exclusive, like Halo 2 or something, I'd say don't bother waiting and get an XP system now. The hardware you get now will run Vista just fine, and that way, you wait until they patch it/release a revised version before you "beta test" their new OS.

Due to work/time constraints, I mostly post on the weekends these days, but rest assured I'll continue to post about high-quality pointless crap!