Sunday, September 17, 2006

Net Connection Changes

About a week and a half ago, I noticed how it'd take longer for my DSL modem to connect to the net, even when it was showing a proper connection. It also started getting unstable and would drop me after about 45 minutes of connectivity. So I contacted my ISP's good tech support folk, and the tech suspected my 6-year-old might be giving out, and he sent me a new one.

I got around to hooking it up yesterday, and while I found that it still takes longer than it used to to properly establish a connection, my connection's speed is now on steroids! Before, I used to get around 250 kbps, however now, I'm around 1740 kbps! In english, this is fast, and stuff downloads real quick-like.

I also got my basic email service upgraded for free, which is another bonus.

I'm going to give it a week and see if my new modem will begin connecting faster, and if I still have issues, I'll re-call tech support. If this is simply a sacrifice I'll need to make with the amazing high speed as a trade off, however, I'll take it.

Perhaps my ISP did some upgrades in the area or to the service in general a bit ago, which is why I'm taking longer to connect but having amazing performance otherwise.

No comments: