Friday, December 22, 2006

Samsung LN-S2651D Impressions


A week ago I purchased my first LCD TV, the Samsung LN-S2651D, and thus far, I'm very pleased with it.

The Staff came along for the ride and assisted in its set up, and afterwards the very first thing I did was calibrate the snow. What can I say, I'm a perfectionist.

I next hooked up both my VCR/DVD combo and Xbox and did some basic colour calibrations, however what I got to as quickly as I could was the first real test: Playing Halo 2.

Halo 2 in wide screen at 480p looked absolutely gorgeous. The image was nice and clean, the extra view added a little twist to game play and of course on the 26" screen, everything was nice and big.

The following day I decided to try out some other Xbox games, however most of them didn't look near as good as Halo 2 (and most don't support wide screen). One thing the LCD TV does is really show off the age of the Xbox's hardware, particularly with aliasing (jaggies). My God, is the aliasing bloody well awful! While Halo 2 seems to have been developed with this in mind, most other games Fable: The Lost Chapters, were not. Some games, like Jade Empire and Doom 3, looked very good despite this, however for some reason, Fable: The Lost Chapters looks like shit. It's not even just the aliasing, Fable: The Lost Chapters seems to have some kind of layer over the graphics that makes it look like old coloured newsprint; simply horrible.

After frowning over that, I watched Spider-Man 2 to finalize the colour calibration that I was looking for. Haven't watched the film for a while, and after settling on the set up I like, it looked gorgeous.

In a nutshell, aside from the poor looking Fable: The Lost Chapters, I've loved everything about my new LCD TV. I've used it a lot this week, and actually picked up an Xbox 360 to see how the up-conversion to 720p and full screen anti-aliasing would look on original Xbox titles, and so far all's well.

Fable: The Lost Chapters looks great off the Xbox 360, however since I can't transfer save games from my Xbox to Xbox 360, I need to put up with the low image quality to finish my original game. I think I'm close though, so it's no big deal.

I'll post about the Xbox 360 in detail in several days one I experiment with it more.

No comments: