Sunday, August 12, 2007

BioShock (Xbox 360) Playable Demo and 60 Sec. TV Spot


At 9:50 pm, Spike TV premiered the final BioShock 60 Second TV Spot, after which the trailer was put up for download on both the Xbox Live Marketplace and GameTrailers.com.

The big news, however, is at the same time, 2K Games released the playable demo for BioShock via Xbox Live Marketplace. The PC version of the demo is presently in the works, according to The Cult of Rapture main page, and will be available for download later this month.

While the TV Spot downloaded quickly and without incident via the Xbox Live Marketplace, I've had absolutely no luck getting the Demo. It weighs in at 1.3 GB and the download started off well, however once it reached 22% it froze on me. I restarted the download, and then my net connection crashed.

After rebooting my connection, I then tried downloading the TV spot which, as I mentioned, worked flawlessly, however once I tried to get the Demo again, it went to 3% and froze once more.

It looks like Microsoft was unprepared for the volume the BioShock Demo is obviously putting on Xbox Live.

I'm going to try to download it again after I post this, and let it run overnight. Sadly, this means I won't be able to play the Demo until tomorrow night at the earliest. I'm quite disappointed, and really hoping the game itself doesn't end up being as poor and badly coordinated as this Demo launch.

Update: Seems I'm not the only one having issues with Xbox Live. TeamXbox thus far has been unable to download the Demo either; they keep getting dropped. You can read that in their Demo announcement article here.

2 comments:

Flame_Kettle said...

Thanks for the heads up on this one, I started the download at around 11:30pm when I got home from work, and now I woke up, and I was 81% done,

Juxtapose said...

Yeah, it took me forever to download as well, but it's worth it.

I played through it last night, and I'll be posting my impressions soon.