Saturday, May 03, 2008

Xbox 360 DRM Issues with Original Xbox Content


While playing through Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (Xbox) on my original Xbox for the 5th time, I began experiencing some strange audio static issues whenever I'd pick up Medkits, use the Artifact, or be around electrical current (such as trams).

Concerned that there might be an issue with my LCD TV, I went through a few different tests, such as trying additional games on my original Xbox, and also by trying Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil on my Xbox 360. Every other game played fine on my original Xbox, and Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil played without the slightest audio hitch on my Xbox 360. This has led me to determine that the issue lies with some kind of cache corruption with this particular game and my original Xbox.

While I'm releived that my LCD TV is fine, I discovered another interesting issue while tinkering around with my Xbox 360: The DRM for the original Xbox content I downloaded via Xbox LIVE on my Xbox 360 is no longer valid; it appears my digital ownership of the content did not transfer over with my Xbox 360 content.

I actually didn't know that the original Xbox has such DRM, however since I've never had any issues with my original Xbox, nor have I known anyone who's had to send their console in for service either, I had nothing to base this on. Sadly, poor hardware results is the providence of Microsoft's current Xbox 360 console.

In order to remedy the situation, I'll simply need to redownload the content, and thankfully, it's all free (this was back before the days of publishers milking gamers for every drop of cash they could on sub-par Multiplayer Map Packs), all free that is, except for the need of an Xbox LIVE Gold Membership.

Thankfully, I have a 48 Hour Xbox LIVE Gold Membership Trial from the copy of Halo 3 I purchased for a friend (which he gave me since he already has a Gold Membership), a 1 month trial from Xbox Support do to my recent service issue, and I should also have another free 1 month trial with my copy of Grand Theft Auto IV (and one of these days, I'll get around to actually removing the factory seal and opening that case to see!).

Now all I gotta do is get my lazy ass around to actually activating one of those memberships...

1 comment:

Juxtapose said...

Thank you for your comment and for linking to my blog, mr.galle.

It is against my policy, however, to link to sites that I am unfamiliar with, so I won't be providing a link at this time.

Sorry.