Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Better Business Bureau Case Closed


A few days ago, I received an email from the Better Business Bureau with regards to my complaints filed against Microsoft and Xbox with the issues I had with Xbox Support. The Better Business Bureau has received a reply from Microsoft on my complaints, and wanted to know if I was satisfied with the results of the issue.

The information that I was sent actually contains a few tidbits that I did not know about, and before I go into my thoughts on this whole process, I feel that I should take the time to construct for you an entire time line of events, something I did not properly do before through all my previous documentation:


- Sat. May 5th, my Xbox 360's DVD Drive failed. Contacted Xbox Support to begin the repair process. Console return box to arrive in 3 to 5 business days, and refurbished Xbox 360 console to arrive in additional 8 to 10 business days. Will also receive 1 month free Gold Membership to Xbox Live, and all shipping charges are covered under warranty.

- Tues. May 8th, placed follow-up call with Xbox Support to ensure that return box has been sent out. Original Support order now replaced with new Support order with return box scheduled to arrive in 3 to 4 business days. Asked to follow up with Support the following day to obtain proper reference number.

- Wed. May 9th, re-called Support as requested by Support, and am informed the return box will now arrive between 4 to 6 business days.

- Tues. May 15th, placed follow-up call with Xbox Support to ensure that return box has been sent out. Return box still not sent out due to Microsoft migrating data over to new servers. Am told to expect an additional delay of 5 business days, and that nothing can be done to expediate the process. Am told for my trouble, I _may_ be offered a free gift game.

- Wed. May 16th, files complaint with Better Business Bureau over poor quality customer service from Xbox Support (complaint directed to Microsoft Canada).

- Thurs. May 17th, Better Business Bureau faxes complaint to Microsoft (unknown to me at this time). Received return box for defective Xbox 360 console. Packaged defective console and dropped it off at local Purolator drop off centre, to be delivered on next business day.

- Fri. May 18th, defective Xbox 360 console arrives at Service Centre, and refurbished unit is couriered out to me to arrive within 3 to 5 (non-business) days.

- Mon. May 21st, receive call from American Microsoft representative who apologizes for all Support issues, and offers me a free gift game of my choice from predetermined Microsoft Game Studios list. I select Perfect Dark Zero, and item is to be mailed (regular post) to me within 5 to 10 business days. Asked to follow up with Microsoft representative if I have not received Perfect Dark Zero within 5 business days. Microsoft representative provides me with his email address, which I copy down incorrectly.

- Tues. May 22nd, receive and test refurbished Xbox 360 Pro console. Appears fully functional save for minor issue where DVD tray will occasional stick upon opening in console's vertical position. Card for free 1 month subscription to Xbox Live Gold included. Refurbished console under warranty until Dec. 24th, 2007.

- Sat. Jun. 2nd, unable to contact Microsoft representative due to incorrectly copied down email address. Contact Xbox Support to inquire on status of free gift game. Am told to expect it within 3 to 5 business days, and that it is being sent via regular post.

- Mon. Jun. 4th, Better Business Bureau has not received reply from Microsoft and re-faxes original complaint (unknown to me at this time).

- Sat. Jun. 9th, place follow up call to Xbox Support on status of free gift game, and am told Perfect Dark Zero is not an eligible title. Am told to choose between Kameo: Elements of Power and Project Gotham Racing 3. Chosen neither and plan to send updated complaint to Better Business Bureau.

- Sun. Jun. 10th, sent updated complaint to Better Business Bureau.

- Mon. Jun. 11th, Better Business Bureau faxes updated complaint to Microsoft.

- Mon. Jun. 11th to Tues. Jun. 12th, received follow up calls from same Microsoft representative, however was stuck at work and unable to call him back.

- Thurs. Jun. 14th, left voice mail with Microsoft representative asking him to email me to begin sorting free gift game issues out. Receive email, and he explains that he was unaware that Perfect Dark Zero is not an eligible gift game within Canada. He apologizes, and offers to send me a copy that he has around his office. I provide him with my mailing address to send me the copy. Microsoft representative also provides me with assistance on copyright protection issue I've been experiencing with content purchased on my original Xbox 360 console via the Xbox Live Marketplace.

- Wed. Jun. 20th, received factory sealed, brand new copy of Perfect Dark Zero.

- Mon. Jun. 25th, Better Business Bureau has not received comment from Microsoft regarding any of my complaints. Complaint is again faxed to Microsoft (unknown to me at this time). Better Business Bureau leaves voice mail regarding my complaints with a different Microsoft representative than the gentleman I was dealing with (date listed for this call is Fri. Jun. 29th, however based on the additional time line, it must have happened very early in the week).

- Tues. Jun. 26th, Better Business Bureau receives email from Microsoft asking for my Microsoft incident ID number or any additional information to do a follow up on the status on their end. Better Business Bureau emails information to Microsoft (unknown to me at this time).

- Fri. Jun. 29th, Better Business Bureau receives Business Response from Microsoft stating that I've received my refurbished console and free gift game. Better Business Bureau forwards this response, as well as my correspondence history with the Better Business Bureau, to me requesting if the situation has been resolved to my satisfaction. Correspondence also includes Better Business Bureau's communication attempts with Microsoft, allowing me to learn of the "unknown to me" sections of the above time line.

- Tues. Jul. 3rd, I inform the Better Business Bureau that I am presently satisfied with the situation, and the case is closed.


As you can easily see, this has been a very, very lengthy process for something that was only supposed to take a maximum grand total of 15 business days. The single most interesting fact for me though is the complete realization that the results I ultimately received from Microsoft and Xbox Support were due to the filing of complaints with the Better Business Bureau.

Take a look at the time line: As soon as the Better Business Bureau sent a complaint to Microsoft on my behalf, my console return box was sent out and received the following business day, my refurbished unit was sent out the same day as the reception of my defective unit (much faster than the projected 8 to 10 business days), and I received a call from an American Microsoft representative on the second business day offering me the free gift game Support originally told me I _might_ receive.

When I was given grief over being sent the gift game, again, once the Better Business Bureau sent in the complaint on my behalf, I was receiving calls from the same courteous Microsoft representative on the same day.

So in brief, the Better Business Bureau got results. Am I saying that as soon as you have an issue you should lodge a formal complaint with them? No, not at all. If you have problems with your Xbox 360 consoles, hardware, or software, you should absolutely go through Xbox Support first, just as I'll do should issues arise again. However should you experience problems with Support, or they're not fulfilling their end of any arrangement, then absolutely you should file a formal complaint.

Microsoft's still smart about it all. You'll note through the time line they never once contacted the Better Business Bureau about my complaints until they had resolved them with me privately, thus guaranteeing them a positive acceptance and a nice resolution notice in their company's information section. From my perspective that's all fine, so long as my issues are resolved.

With that company I work for, I deal with supplier issues all the time, and it's certainly probable that delays will happen, so my suggestion for you is if you're dealing with Xbox Support, don't file a complaint right away, give them a little empathy, but if they miss dates or mess around with you two to three times, then bring in the bigger guns, and let the large corporation know that as a paying customer, you simply want and _will get_ the proper customer service to enjoy the product(s) that you've paid for.

No comments: