Sunday, March 02, 2008

Halo 2 (Xbox) Completed for the 7th Time


Last night, I completed Halo 2 for the 7th time overall, 5th time on Heroic Difficulty, and for the 2nd time emulated on the Xbox 360.

Despite the fact that I've played through it so many times, I can honestly say without question that Halo 2 is one of the single most engaging and versatile shooters I've ever played. It still has solid friend and enemy AI providing quite the challenge even by today's standards. Battles are varied and intense and most encounters never play the same way twice.

In my personal opinion, Halo 2 is the best game of the trilogy, also providing the deepest, and grandest narrative.

The game itself emulates solidly, and looks very nice with wide screen support. While Halo 2 does look better than Halo: Combat Evolved with grander detail and larger environments, I do have to say that it's sadly aged worse than its predecessor.

Halo 2 looked excellent when it was released on the original Xbox back in late 2004, but even so it already looked rather outdated for it's time due to the platform's aged hardware. The graphical imperfections are more prominent on Halo 2 on the Xbox 360, and the ghosting issues experienced with its emulation is very annoying. At least the excessive texture pop-in has been drastically improved.

Still though, when all's said and done, it's gameplay that really matters, and Halo 2 still tromps many cutting edge shooters in this department; on any platform.

Earth will never be the same.


NOTE: I'm posting this via my BlackBerry 8830, my first blog post to be published this way. Once I get home to my PC, I'll clean up the formatting, spell check, and add links and a screenshot.

No comments: