Saturday, July 30, 2005

Quake 4 and it's Predecessor's Demo

One upcoming game that's holding my interest is Quake 4, which will be released for the Xbox 360 and PC tentatively this fall. It's being developed by Raven Software (Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast, X-Men Legends) and will be built off of the Doom 3 engine, one of the best looking game engines out there at present.

I was never big on the Quake series itself, mostly because the original was an unfocused, crappy single player game and the third installment was all multiplayer focused. Quake II, was supposed to have some semblence of a story, but for the reasons above I never touched it until today.

From what I understand, Quake 4 will be a story continuation of Quake II, where the first and third installments have nothing to do with the other games.

After typing a good bit about Doom and feeling a little nostalgia for it, I decided to finally download and try the demo for Quake II, seeing as how my PC could easily handle it being a '97 release. I believe the demo contains the entire first "Unit," as collections of levels in this game are called, and it honestly wasn't bad.

It was, of course, classic style gameplay, very arcade like. There were some interesting additions in it (for it's day). A field computer to track your objectives, weapons were properly held by your character off-centre, an unubtrusive status bar for your health, armour, ammo, etc. It also boasts some decent lighting effects. Remember, all this is pre-Half-Life, one of the most revolutionary FPSes of the last century (released late '98) to which most modern shooters are measured.

Should I pick up an Xbox 360, and should I actually purcahse Quake 4 for it, I'm hoping they release a collector's edition akin to Doom 3 which will contain Quake II, as I'd be interested in taking this classic for a proper spin down retro-lane.

No comments: