Sunday, September 16, 2007

Spider-Man: Friend of Foe (Xbox 360) Demo Impressions


Of the three demos I tried this weekend, this is the only one I actually finished in its entirety. Spider-Man: Friend or Foe is aimed at a younger audience, and it's a more classic styled beat 'em up were you simply traverse a level as Spider-Man with an ally (be he/she a superhero or supervillian you convert to your cause) that can be controlled by the AI or a friend via drop in/drop out co-op.

The game is inspired by the film trilogy's characters, but don't go looking for anything canon or story-line official, as many of the characters you get to use are sort of dead, but hey, it's all simply meant for fun.

In the demo I chose my side kick to be Venom, and I mainly controlled him the whole time. Spider-Man and I moved along the rooftops of an Oscorp facility taking on some kind of robot enemies, smashing and pounding as we went. There are combo moves you can do, some air moves, throws, etc., all very classic and retro fair.

I must say I'm disappointed that you couldn't swing! One thing I loved about Spider-Man 3 was the complexity and depth of Spider-Man's web swinging, and this is completely absent from Spider-Man: Friend or Foe. Granted it's a different developer, and granted those same swinging mechanics would be death for a 5 year old, but still. Everyone knows, Spider-Man swings. It's what he does, that's why he's special.

Graphically, the game has a solid cartoony feel, and the voice acting is Saturday morning cartoon chessy to match.

While it had some nostalgia moments, I'd say Spider-Man: Friend or Foe is a rental, but it'll be a fun one at that.

Once completed with the demo, you get a code you can enter online which will tell you how to play as the New Goblin in the retail version of the game. Kind of a cool little extra should you actually go pick the game up.

No comments: